Intro to Progressive Web Apps
What is a Progressive Web App?
a web application intended to look, feel and behave like a native application
Take a look at the apps on your phone - think about how you use them and how they behave.
How are they similar to web apps? How are they different?
Why the push towards PWAs?
- modern-day platforms all have the web in common already
- pouring effort into making the web more robust reduces the amount of time, money and effort that goes into creating cross-platform applications
Characteristics of a PWA
- responsive design
- performant on slower network speeds
- installable and launchable from the home screen
- all content served over HTTPS
- provides some form of offline experience
Auditing PWAs in Lighthouse
Lighthouse is an automated tool for improving the quality of your webpages in multiple areas
It can be installed as a chrome extension, node module, or used from the command line